Monday, October 14, 2013

Thoughts and Truth

   I wanted to talk about something that’s been on my mind lately. It isn’t the most positive thing in the world, but it’s something that I need to talk about. I need to talk about failure. I’ve known a lot of people lately who have underperformed in their field, and some of them have even been held accountable for that. I’ve seen them go from being confident and happy to thinking they are literally worse at what they do than anyone else. I’ve been there lately, too. I haven’t always met my own expectations, and that’s led to a lot of self-doubt.
   I’ve always heard in church that it was a good thing if a person was humble, but what happens when a person is so humbled by a mixture of bad luck and good intentions that have gone wrong that they get beaten down to a point where they truly don’t think that they can get out of the hole that life has buried them in? As human beings, we need some type of pride in who we are and what we do, but many of the people I know have lost that spark. I’m even losing it. It’s hard to keep your head up against everything that’s put in front of you. The truth is that I’m only writing this to tell everyone that I have a lot of doubts about who I am and what I’m doing. I’m still very insecure about the person I’m becoming. I could sit here and do the whole promotional author thing and say that I think my books are the cure for a bad day and that they’re the greatest thing of the century, but here’s the truth. I like my books, and I think that most people will enjoy them, but insecurity still creeps in a lot. Sometimes it comes in the form of a thought, and at others, it comes in the form of another person who makes me doubt everything I’ve done. It’s at times like this that I need people to lean on. I shouldn’t be weak, but I am.
   The main reason I’m writing this is to tell all the people in my life that are going through struggles that they’re not alone. I’m right there with you. I don’t have any answers, but if we keep moving forward, maybe we’ll find a place that’s full of a confidence and reassurance that tells us that yes, you’re doing the right things. Then again, maybe not. We’ve all come too far to stop now, though. So for all my people who are struggling with work, school, or their relationships, I say this. Keep going and fighting for what ought to be and not what is. Most importantly, remember who you are. You are not a failure. You’re just one good opportunity away from showing the world exactly how capable you really are.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment