Friday, October 4, 2013

My Life


   I wanted to share what it’s like to write every day with you guys. I’ve heard people say that it must be nice to sit in my pajamas all day. Then there are the people who think it’s all some kind of creative process that is altogether a lot more than it really is. What I do is simple, yet complicated at the same time, and yes, it’s very hard at times. I won’t lie - I do sit in my pajamas on most days, but there’s a reason for that. LOL! I start as soon as I wake up. I normally grab something with caffeine in it, and then I start editing whatever I wrote the night before. After that, I check on my sales. For some reason, I consider this a two-minute break. After that, I start writing a new chapter to my book. It takes some time. A chapter for me can be anywhere between 2000 and 4000 words. Lately, I’ve been writing around 3000 words per chapter. When I’m finally done with that, I check my Facebook, and see if there’s anything I can do to promote my books. Then I either write a blog or brainstorm about blogging ideas. When I’m done with that, I write another chapter. At that point, I look up at the clock and realize that the day is almost gone, and I haven’t showered or shaved yet, so I drag myself to the bathroom and do just that. After this process repeats itself for a number of days, I have a manuscript that I have to read about eight times before it’s ready for release. While I’m reading it, I look for possible cover images and eventually make a cover for the book. Then I let you guys know what’s going on. When it’s all said and done, I work for roughly ten to twelve hours a day, and I don’t take the weekends off. The strange thing is that when a book is sold, most authors don’t make that much for all the effort they put in. Still, there’s something so positive about writing. I just told you a million things that were negative about writing, and yes, it’s the hardest thing I have ever done, and it’s not for everyone, but when you really get addicted to these stories and these characters, you find that those long hours simply slip away. Some days you tell yourself that you’re going to take a break, but then your mind wanders. You start wondering what Nathan and Sam are going to do next or how things are going to work out with Trent and Ally. The characters become like your best friends, and the strange thing is that you aren’t leading the story anymore . . . they are. Writing is hard, and it has nothing to do with lounging around or money, and it certainly isn’t an elegant process. Still, it’s been my greatest joy, and I wouldn’t do anything else if I could. It’s my addiction, and I hope to be addicted to these stories and an all new set of characters in the future. That’s what writing is about, and that’s what I’ve been doing with my time. Here’s to never wasting your time on something that isn’t challenging and that doesn’t completely compel you.

No comments:

Post a Comment