Friday, July 12, 2013

Racism



I wanted to talk about something kind of different today. It might be a little controversial to some people, so if you’re sensitive, now would be the time to cover your ears and start humming. I wanted to talk about racism. Yes, I know that it’s a subject that’s been talked about a lot, but it’s really been on my mind lately. I’ve heard many racial remarks by others and even seen some terrible things in the past. It’s strange to me. How can so many people still be this backward? You still have this group of people who think that the color of our skin determines our worth, and the funny thing is how that way of thinking isn’t exclusive to one race or group. It’s everywhere, and it seems to be spreading. Throughout my life, I have heard and seen many things that were downright sickening. I’ve even heard a preacher try to twist Scripture to make it sound like a white person and a black person being in love was an abomination to God. Where does this ignorance end? At what point do we say enough is enough and allow ourselves to see people for exactly who they are? One thing I’ve seen most in my life is fear. Most people aren’t racist, but almost all of us show some kind of fear of being persecuted. Some people may only have close friends of the same race out of fear of what another friend might say. Others may not date someone they love because of what their family might say. Why are we all such cowards? Why do we care about people whose thinking is outdated and irrelevant? I started thinking about this because of something I saw in a Wal-Mart parking lot last night. There was an older man who was yelling racial things as loudly as possible. I believe in freedom of speech, but only for people who have a certain IQ. People talk about tolerance in our world. The funny thing is that I’ve heard so many people say how others shouldn’t be tolerant of things like interracial marriage. Their skewed view about tolerance is ridiculous. In fact, the people who are really being tolerant are the regular people who see worth and not color. We’re being tolerant and allowing them to spread their vile view freely. They poison our children’s minds, and they make us feel strange for doing what ought to be normal. In some cases, they make us feel different or somehow less than, and it’s time for us to say no more. I know that I’m going to say, “No more.” Racism may exist in the world, but I’m not going to pretend it’s normal or even acceptable. I can’t afford to accept this backward view anymore. God forgives us all if we ask for it, and He loves us equally. Imagine if He chose who He loved based on things like race and gender. Where would we be? 

Well, I’m sorry about the strange subject, but that’s something that’s been on my mind lately. I hope that most of you understand what I’m talking about, and if you’ve ever been insulted in a Wal-Mart parking lot and wanted to tell an old man off, I’m guessing that you do. Thanks for reading, and love everyone . . . unless they’re like that one guy I met last night. Then pray for them for them to grow a lot smarter really soon.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment