Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Inspiration



       I love blogging, but my real job is writing books, and I wanted to share something with people that I’ve never shared before. I wanted to tell everyone where I got the ideas that formed the Wrong Series and the Strange Visions series. Back when I wrote Wrong Place, I was in a state of complete reflection. I looked at who I was, where I was, and what I was doing, and none of it seemed right. As a matter of fact, it felt like I was living a life that was meant for someone else entirely, and as far as I could tell, there was no escaping that life. Many of the characters in the Wrong Series share that theme, and none share it more than Nathan and Sam. Nathan has never felt motivation or passion, and he’s trapped in a place that only seems to hold him down. Sam is trapped in a life that was never a choice, and she truly knows no choice. She only knows the orders that have been given to her. By chance they meet, and everything changes for them. I think that story is meteorically about my own journey through life. I didn’t originally intend for it to be completely about that, but to me it is.
       The inspiration for Strange Visions: The Beginning came from a certain video I saw online. It was about bullying. I recalled that I had been the fat kid and how I only wanted to be invisible as a child. That got me thinking, and before I knew it, I was creating a character named Trent who was no one special. In fact, he didn’t fit in anywhere. I gave him an unlikely opportunity to change everything for himself with an unlikely gift. I wrote a story about what I would have loved and about what many high school students would love today. There are still a group of misfits in schools today, and I wrote this book series because I wanted to create a story that represented a person who I felt like was a reflection of the so called irrelevant kids today. Maybe most of all, I wanted to create an unlikely hero who gets what he really deserves instead of what life hands him.
       I want to leave you guys with two things. One is a link to my author page just in case you want to check out one of my book series, and the other is a link to the video by #Shane Koyczan that inspired me to write the Strange Visions series.

No comments:

Post a Comment