Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mothers

   Mother’s Day is tomorrow, so naturally I’ve been thinking about my own mother and all of the women who have made me who I am today. I wanted to express some thoughts about Mother’s Day and hopefully leave everyone with a new perspective.
   What makes a mother? Is it as simple as giving birth? Well, technically yes, but do we refer to the most special people in our lives by the name mother? No, they’re mom or mommy. You see, I think people have Mother’s Day all wrong. Anyone can be a mother. All it takes is sex and nine months to do that, but we all have a mom, even if we don’t call her that. We all have that woman or women in our lives who taught us right from wrong, guided us in the hard times, kept us humble in the good ones, and became our best friends. Maybe that’s your mother, or maybe it’s your grandmother, but whoever it is, that’s the most special woman in your life, and that’s the woman you should be thanking on a day like Mother’s Day.
   Now, what is Mother’s Day? Well, the answer to that is complicated. It has become a day where we are required to go out and buy some gift, as if that actually shows our appreciation to the women who have mentored us. Sure, giving gifts is nice, and I’m certainly not condemning it, but this year, tell her what a card can’t. Tell the woman who made you exactly what she did for you. Let her know that you might not be the person you are today without her. Then thank her for all of it. That’s the part we always forget. We hand someone a gift and say thanks without ever realizing what this person has truly done for us. For many people, they don’t have a special relationship with their mother, so they feel they have nothing to be thankful for. If your mother wasn’t around when you were a kid or something like that, then I certainly understand why you wouldn’t be thankful, but almost all of us have a Mom, even if she’s not our mother. What I’m trying to say is this. Sunday afternoon, take some time to find the special person in your life who made you the person you are, and tell her how much you owe her. She won’t expect anything in return, but she might not realize how much her sacrifice and love has meant to your well-being. Everyone deserves credit where it’s due. Don’t short the most important woman in your life. If your mom made you who you are, let her know, or if your grandmother filled that role, tell her that she’s as much of a mom as you ever needed. Maybe most importantly, never forget the mother of your children because she gives love and guidance to the people in this world who should be most important to you.
   I want to personally say thank you to Kelly Grace for giving me a desire to create. She taught me to use my imagination, get lost in stories, and maybe most of all, to never doubt where something as simple as an idea could take me. My mother is truly a mom, friend, and the perfect person to look up to. Thank you for giving me life, but more than that, thank you for showing me the right way to live life through your shining example. Happy Mother’s Day, and remember that you don’t just have my appreciation for one day a year. I’m thankful on all of them.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment