Monday, September 1, 2014

Thoughts On Labor Day

   Happy Labor Day to everyone! On this day, most people have a cookout or spend time with family. Here’s the thing, though. My mom had to work today, and my dad had to leave early to go to work also. It looked like it was going to be a really boring day, so I broke the number one rule about this holiday. You’re not supposed to work, but I decided to do just that. At first, I felt a little bad about myself. Shouldn’t I be doing anything other than work on a day like this one? Surely I could find a friend to hang out with. As I worked on my new book, something happened, though. Suddenly, what I thought of as work was the furthest thing from that. It was an obsession. I couldn’t pull myself out of the story that was actively playing out in my mind. Then the day was pretty much over. I had done nothing physically today, but I had experienced everything. There’s something amazing about really being in a zone when you’re writing. It takes you to different places. I would imagine writing serves as an addiction in the same way as drugs do for a drug addict. If I don’t do a little writing every day, I don’t feel complete. It’s like something’s missing, and my insides literally feel uneasy. You see, that supposed work was exactly what I wanted to do today. It wasn’t work at all. It was what I needed for my day to be complete. That’s the amazing thing about my life. I get to do something for a living that I would do no matter what. It’s truly my passion, and I can’t say that I’ve ever worked a day in my life.
   This extends to other areas of my life, too. I used to be concerned about being around enough people and doing the right thing for everyone. I don’t feel that way anymore. I’m not the most social person in the world, but the people I choose to be around are truly my biggest joy. They give me reasons to live. I never feel like it’s work to be around them or like I could do better. My job, my relationships, and even my spiritual relationship are filled with something that goes far beyond work. It’s a joyful purpose that I couldn’t live without. I think one of the biggest mistakes we make as human beings is trying to figure out what job is the right one or which friends are best for us. You don’t have to think very long to figure those things out. What do you love? That’s the thing you need to pursue. Who would move mountains for you if they could? Those are the friends you should cherish for a lifetime. Finally, what do you believe in? No preacher, rule, or book can tell you that. A philosophy goes far beyond rules or limitations. It’s something you know is right because you can feel it in every fiber of your being. It’s not rules. It’s pure joy. Find your joy today. I know I have in work, play, and spirituality. I never thought I would be at this place, but for the first time, I’m truly at peace with who I’m becoming and all of the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment