Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Journeys


   So I’m feeling pretty good today. I’ve been working on a side project. It consists of a little more than 19,000 words, and it’s set in a world that is very foreign to anything we know. I’ve always written books that were set in the modern world. It’s been really great to build an entirely different society in this untitled book, and writing it is reminding me of why I’ve always loved writing. When you throw out all the rules and all the expectations, you can just write freely. This new story is leading me. I have no idea where it’s going or how long it’s going to be, but I really like the characters and setting of it. It’s kind of odd, but it’s a lot more fun to write a book when you only write it for yourself. This new book may be released at some time in the very distant future, but right now, it’s just a little gem that I get to keep for myself. Regardless of what I do with it in the future, it’s nice to go back to a mindset like the one I had with Wrong Place. I didn’t know if I would ever release that book, and that gave me complete creative license. I didn’t have to consider how anyone would perceive it or what type of people to market it to. In a way, the first few books I wrote were my favorites because they came from a really good place. I was able to pour every interest, everything I love, and every painful moment in me into those books, and it gave me a peace like nothing else. It’s nice to get back to that.
   Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m really excited to get the last Strange Visions book and the final two Wrong books out there in the future, but it’s nice to create again instead of just edit. When you’re constantly looking at what you do in a critical way, you can get down on yourself pretty quickly. On the other hand, when you write a few thousand unedited words that you absolutely love, it can give you so much confidence. I think I’m going to start writing at least one new thing everyday from now on. It makes me happy, and it reminds me of what writing really is to me. It’s a way to express something that I can’t express with speech. Editing those thoughts is one thing, but getting them out is truly heaven.
   Anyway, I didn’t mean to go off in left field today, but that’s what’s on my mind. I love to write, and it lets out thoughts that otherwise would drive me crazy. I think we all need something that gives us relief from the rest of our lives. Writing is something that I think that everyone should do because there are some things that you just can’t say. For anyone reading this who might be thinking about writing a book or just telling their story, I encourage you to do something that, in my opinion, won’t ever be a mistake, and this writer might just answer any questions that you have. I don’t know much yet about the business side of writing, but I would love to help or collaborate with anyone in the future. As authors, we view ourselves as competitors too often, but I’ve never bought into that mentality. My writing is the story of my journey, and if I can help someone tell his or her story, then I would be thrilled to do that. Thanks for reading again, guys, and check back for updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment