Friday, August 16, 2013

Loyalty


    Loyalty . . . what is it worth? Most people would describe themselves as extremely loyal and qualify loyalty as one of the most important things on the planet, but are we loyal? Do we even respect loyalty for that matter? True loyalty goes beyond a symbiotic relationship where someone gives you what you need and you return the favor. Sure, it may start that way, but when you’re really loyal to someone, you stick by them as they change and even when they aren’t themselves. When they treat you poorly, you don’t just take it, but you’re still there. When they act in ways that are beneath them, you tell them how they’re acting, but you don’t leave. When they’re successful, you truly rejoice for them. There is no jealousy in loyalty. When they fail, you’re there for all the misery. No one has ever been loyal without feeling the exact pain that another person has. Maybe most importantly, you make it your mission to always let that person know that you’re with them and that no matter what, you’re behind them through thick or thin.
    How many people do you know who are actually loyal? I only know a few, and no, I don’t mean that the people in my life are bad. I simply mean that the type of person who is truly committed to walking down the path of life with you no matter what may come is a very rare person. In fact, it’s easier to find so many other types of people in this world. You can find those who are beautiful, those who are smart, and even those who are just plain rotten to their core, but if you ever find someone who is loyal, that is the person you want to drop everything in your life for. They are the people who can make you feel as if everything will always fall into place, and when things are going bad, they will keep you afloat long enough for you to reach your destination.
    As I’m writing this, I find it kind of funny. The traits I’m describing don’t even sound like traits of an adult human. They sound like the traits of a child. A young child will love his parents, no matter what kind of people they are. He or she will defend them to anyone, and when something goes wrong between the child and parent, that child will always blame himself no matter what the actual problem was. Some animals are very similar. I used to have a dog named Cupcake. Nothing about her was usual, and she had a comical personality to say the least. The great thing about Cupcake was that no matter what was going on, or what had just happened, you were always important to her. Sure, she was only a dog, but she was a dog who taught me more about life than most people have. If I could love the people in this world like Cupcake loved her family, then I would not only be a much happier person but I would also be an extremely popular guy. It may sound strange, but the older I get, the more I want to be more like a child or maybe even one of the animals that most people pay no attention to. I want to love without question and be able to trust without a second thought. Unfortunately, we’ve all been burned too often to ever know how to be that loyal. Still, I keep taking chances and putting myself out there. That’s all any of us can do. Maybe sooner or later I’ll find a person who can truly see me the way people were meant to see each other. Hopefully, I’ll be able to give that person everything they give me and more.
    I didn’t exactly mean to be so random, but I’ve just been thinking a lot lately. Relationships are some of the most complicated things in the world, but as far as I can tell, that’s only because we make them that way. I make them that way. It’s what I’ve learned, and it’s what I’m trying to unlearn. I’ve always been the type of guy who covers all the angles. I know how any given scenario can turn out before I even attempt to try. I’ve failed before I even tried so many times just by doubting what I was doing or who I was with. That has to be over now. 
    Here’s to one more new beginning, and here’s to new expectations out of my situations and the people I meet. Thanks for listening.   



No comments:

Post a Comment