Sunday, June 2, 2013

Givers



I was thinking back about some people I’ve known in the past, and I just thought I should share some thoughts for anyone who wants to listen. I’ve met some people who truly give without ever keeping a mental note of how much they’ve received. I haven’t met many people like this, but they exist. They all have one thing in common, though. They’re under-appreciated and for some reason, no one strives to be around them. They pull all the weight in their relationships. That fact got me to thinking about something. What is wrong with everyone? For that matter what’s wrong with me? We all try to get the woman or man who pays us no attention, and in truth, is completely wrong for us. We all try to get into the social group that’s hardest to get into, and doesn’t care if we’re there or not. We all try to get the job that appears to be the most impressive one, regardless of whether it’s what we should be doing or not. Where did the culture of us trying to be where we aren’t wanted begin? Where did my own pursuit of dreams and relationships that I truly didn’t care about begin? Maybe it’s just human psychology to want what you can’t have. I do wonder what it would be like to surround yourself with people who wanted to help you just because they were naturally nice, though. What if we didn’t pick on the people who were nice in school and glorify the people who made us all feel a little worse about ourselves? What if we did work that we were passionate about and not work that gave us X amount of dollars and a certain status? What if one kindness was always returned for another? Where would we be? It sounds like a pipe dream. Not everyone can get along. I get that. Some problems can’t be resolved with kindness or passion, but why is it that we ignore those who are there for us? All the majority of us do is take from them and move on. I guess what I’m saying is if you have someone in your life who always puts your interest before their own, never let them go, and return the favor because there’s nothing worse than waking up one day and realizing that the best thing you ever had is gone because you were off being someone else’s priority when something better had always been waiting on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment