Friday, November 14, 2014

The Unseen Series

   I want to update everyone on where I am with The Unseen series. I have, of course, finished with the second book that will be released very soon. It’s very action packed, and I think it takes the characters to a lot of places that I’ve always wanted to see. If you’ve been following what I do, you already know all of that, though. Here’s what you didn’t know. I just finished writing the third and final Unseen book. It’s not edited, and a lot will probably change about it before it’s released, but the bare bones book is finished. It has a definite ending that even surprised me. I had an ending picked out when I started writing the last book, but my characters had other ideas. I have to say that this new ending is a complete improvement over what I had originally wanted to do. It leaves the series in a way that I believe will tie up all loose ends and satisfy fans of the series.
   Now, I want to tell everyone what this series has meant to me. There is a lot of death throughout the series, and I purposely made it more action filled than past series that I’ve done. I wanted central themes of loss, lies, and death to be in the books. It’s not that I wanted the series to be depressing, but I feel that’s often how life works. I don’t mean to seem like I’m attaching too much symbolism to the series, but in my life, I’ve found that I always have to go through a lot of dark periods to see the sun again, and sometimes we never get to find a way out of the dark. That’s what I wanted to show in these books. I didn’t want Drew and Lindsey’s relationship to be the picture of perfection, and I didn’t want everyone’s story to end with a happily ever after because that’s not how life works. Life is hard, and relationships are complicated. I think that by the end of the series I identified with Drew and Lindsey as much as I did with my past characters, and that says something, considering that at least two of my past characters were based off parts of myself. I don’t want to give up too much about the next books, but I will say this. You guys are in for a rollercoaster of action, romance, death, secrets, and hope in the face of impossible odds. I can’t wait to share it with all of you. I enjoyed every minute of the ride with Drew and Lindsey.
   I suppose you might be wondering when the next Unseen will be coming out and when you can expect the third and final one. Here’s the easy answer to that. I plan to release The Unseen: Shadow Wars in mid to late December, but I’m making some last minute edits now, and depending on how smoothly things go, I might have to push things back to early January. I think I can have it out, though. I’m just trying to be cautious. I want this second book to be the best it can be. It serves as a great bridge between the first and third books. Don’t let that word fool you, though. It may be a bridge between the two books, but it’s the most action filled book of the three. I think it’s a bridge worth crossing for any lover of action or romance. As for the third book, which I haven’t given a definite title to yet, it will be released sometime next year. I haven’t decided when yet, but if I had to guess, I would probably say very early in March. I want to give everyone time to check out the second one before I release another, and more than that, I want to take a lot of time and make it the best ending to this series that is possible.
   I want to say one thing about the future before I go. When The Unseen is over, I’m going to be releasing something that’s far different. I have been working on a murder mystery novel that I think people will love, but I’m going to put releasing it on hold for a while. I started in the spy genre and then went to a young adult murder mystery series. After that, I wrote a sci-fi novel that got me out of my comfort zone. It turned out to be one of the best things I ever did. It made me realize how possible it was for me to expand my categories in writing. I don’t have to write in one genre or be pinned down by the expected. I can continue to try new things, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do down the line. I’m going to write a single book that doesn’t involve spies, detectives, psychics, or disasters. It’s just going to be about every day people and the lives they lead. The central theme will be relationships. It’ll have a lot of comedy and romance. I think it’s time to write something out of my comfort zone and hopefully find that I love writing slice of life stories as much as any others that I’ve written.

    Thanks for reading, everyone. I can’t wait to see how people react to the last two Unseen books. Next year should be interesting, too. I’ll be releasing a book in a new genre for me, writing a murder mystery book from a unique perspective, and releasing the final volume of Wrong Visions. I can’t wait to share it all with you. It’s strange. Every time I write the last words in a series, I feel sad because it’s like leaving some old friends behind. Still, I get to move on to new characters and challenges every time. I’m proud of where this series went to, and I can’t wait to show everyone what else I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment