Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving

As I’m sure you know, Thanksgiving is coming up, so I thought I would tell all of you what that day means to me. It can often be overshadowed by Christmas and Black Friday, but I believe it has a meaning as important as any holiday.
Thanksgiving is about exactly what it sounds like. We’re supposed to be thankful for what we have in our lives. Sure, we all get together and eat, and our children are told stories about the pilgrims and Indians, but why do we get together with our family and friends on this day? Is it simply to commemorate an anniversary to a feast, or is it about more than that? I believe it’s about spending the day with those we’re thankful for, and the food and drink that we share is just a reason to get everyone together. It’s a shame it takes a feast to get everyone together, but in the hustle and bustle of life, we can often forget what’s truly important. So without further ado, I want to tell all of you what I’m most thankful for.
   The first people I couldn’t live without are my family members. It might seem odd to most, but I’ve never felt the need to have an overbearing amount of friends. As a matter of fact, I spend a lot of my time being what most would consider without friends. I don’t see it that way, though. My family has always consisted of people who I would be proud to know, even if we weren’t related. You see, my family are the only friends I’ve ever truly needed. My parents were very young when they had me, and instead of feeling like I was raised by them, I often felt more like I grew up beside them. My grandparents have always been a source of fun and inspiration, too. Most people talk about their family teaching them life lessons, and all of them have certainly done that, but there’s more to my relationship with these people. They’re the type of people I can call up to go to a movie, go to a football game, or just come over to lounge around on a day that’s been way too hard. They’re the best friends anyone could ever ask for. I’ve also found friends in cousins, aunts and uncles, and many more who have given me everything I needed from the start. You see, I’ve never had to search for much in my life. I had a near perfect family and friends from the start. Sure, not everything was always perfect, but we’ve all grown together into something that’s more perfect than I think we realize until we actually stop to reflect on it.
    Here’s the condensed version of what I’m thankful for. I’m thankful that I’ve never had to worry about love, money, or companionship. I’ve never been the most popular person in the room, and I’m certainly not rich, but I’ve always had more than I need.

   On your Thanksgiving, I want you to see passed the turkey or a day of materialism. I even want you to look past a man in a red suit. Instead, I want you to tell the people in your life how thankful you are for them. Maybe not everyone in your life is good to you, and maybe you don’t always have enough, but if you search, I’m sure you’ll find someone who would do their best to give you whatever you needed in life. You’ll find that person who is home for you. Truly treasure them on a day that’s all about blessings. I know I’m going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment